+ 32 2 640 21 23 | Emergency 24/24, 7/7


For urgent questions

Contact information

Rue Champ du Roi 145, 1040 Etterbeek

02 640 21 23

Opening hours

Mo–Fr: 8am - 7.30pm

Sa: 9am - 6pm

Do you need help?

Please contact us

Can I come for a consultation without an appointment?

All consultations are by appointment only, Monday to Friday from 8am to 7.30pm and from 9am to 6pm on Saturdays. If your pet needs to be seen urgently, please call 02/640.21.23.

I want to cancel my appointment. What should I do?

We ask you to cancel your appointment as soon as possible, and no more than 24 hours in advance. This will free up the appointment for another animal. To cancel your appointment, please call 02/640.21.23.

All non-cancelled appointments may be billed.

What should I do if my pet needs to be seen urgently?

If your pet requires urgent care, please contact us on 02/640.21.23. Our team is on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year. Please let us know before you arrive so that we can take care of your pet as efficiently as possible.

Do you organize home visits?

We can arrange home visits for dogs, cats and NAC’s. If you would like to make an appointment, please contact us on 02/640.21.23 to make your request. The vet will contact you to arrange an appointment.

What are the clinic's opening hours?

The secretary’s office is open Monday to Friday from 9am to 7:30pm and from 9am to 6pm on Saturdays, except on public holidays, to answer your questions, make appointments and sell food and medicines.

What species of NAC can I bring to my consultation?

The Exotics Vets team in Champ du Roi takes care of all species of birds (psittacines, passerines, hens, birds of prey), reptiles (turtles, snakes, lizards) and all small mammals (small carnivores, rodents and lagomorphs). Consultations are by appointment only, but emergencies are dealt with 7/7 and 24/24.

I'm not a client of the clinic, can I come and buy medicines and food?

We are legally obliged to sell medicines only to our own customers. As far as food is concerned, only physiological foods can be sold over the counter. Diet foods are also reserved for our customers.

What should I do if I want to travel with my pet?

For all travel, your dog or cat must be identified. Your pet must also have a complete rabies vaccination protocol: vaccination from 12 weeks of age AND a 3-week waiting period before you can travel.
For some countries, a certificate of good health must also be completed by your veterinarian within 48 to 72 hours of your trip.
For travel outside Europe, you can obtain information from the embassy of the country you wish to visit. And don’t forget to check with your airline company if you’re traveling by plane.
Please note that some countries require an additional certificate to be submitted to the FASFC (Federal Agency for the Safety of the Food Chain). You’ll find all the information you need on the AFSCA website:

Is it compulsory to identify and sterilize my cat?

It is compulsory to identify your cat within 12 weeks of birth. This will enable us to find you if your cat goes missing and is presented to a veterinarian.

Sterilization must be carried out before the cat reaches 6 months of age.

At what age can I have my pet sterilized? (cat, dog, rabbit)

Dogs and cats are generally sterilized at around 6 months of age, ideally before they come into heat.

For rabbits, we also wait 6 to 7 months.

I want to have my pet spayed or neutered. How do I go about it?

If you would like to have your pet spayed or neutered, please contact us on 02/640.21.23 to arrange an appointment. We ask you to make a pre-operative appointment if we have never seen your pet, or if we have not seen your pet for more than 6 months, to carry out a general examination to ensure that your pet can withstand a general anaesthetic.
We’ll explain all the steps involved in the fasting procedure over the phone.

What vaccinations are required for travel?

Only the rabies vaccine is mandatory for travel. If it’s the first injection, you’ll have to wait 21 days before you can travel with your pet. Some countries require titration to ensure that your pet is fully immunized.

Is there anything I need to do if I bring my pet from abroad?

In the case of a dog or cat, you must consult a veterinarian so that he/she can register your dog/cat in the Belgian databases. You must do this within 8 days of your arrival.
This rule does not apply to people who will be residing in Belgium for less than 6 months.

What should I do if I find a stray animal?

When you find a stray animal, you can contact the commune where it is located to arrange for the animal to be taken in. Outside the municipality’s opening hours, you can call the police.
The fire department can also take in exotic pet services and wild animals (e.g. foxes).

What should I do if I find a dead animal?

If the dead animal is in the Forêt de Soignes or in a park or green space managed by Bruxelles Environnement, please alert the janitor or contact the Bruxelles-Environnement Info Service (02/775 75 75).

If the dead animal is outside these areas, you can contact the municipal service of the commune concerned.

I've just adopted a puppy or kitten. What kind of care should I expect?

The first few months of your new companion’s life require a great deal of care: vaccinations, anti-parasite treatments, sterilization, socialization…

It’s difficult to sum these up in just a few lines, so we advise you to schedule an appointment with one of our veterinarians, who will be able to give you the best advice for your new companion’s species and breed.

I can't administer my pet's medication. What can I do?

You need to try several techniques to give the tablets: hide them in pâtée or a food your companion loves, you can crush the tablet or mix it with a little water and administer it using a small syringe…

If your pet has figured out the deception and is sorting out his food or spitting out the medication, one of the last alternatives is to place the tablet right in his mouth to make sure he receives his treatment. This administration is easier if two people are present. If you’re alone, a blanket or towel can be a great help if you have a cat or small dog: you can swaddle it to limit its movements and avoid injury.

Please note, however, that medicines in capsule form must not be opened, as the capsule protects the molecule which must be delivered during digestion after passing through the stomach.

I missed my pet's booster vaccination. What should I do?

You can contact us to arrange an appointment with a vet, during which you’ll need to bring your pet’s health record with you.

The vet will tell you whether or not your pet is still protected against the diseases for which it needs to be vaccinated, and will administer the necessary vaccines.

I've given my cat/dog flea medicine and he still has fleas, what's going on?

If you notice an infestation on your 4-legged friend, you’ll need to start by treating him every month with a flea repellent adapted to his species and weight, as well as cleaning all the surfaces on which your pet settles: machine wash textiles, and vacuum the room concerned.

You’ll need several months of treatment to be sure of eliminating all fleas, as the product acts on adults but not on eggs.

Be very careful, however: antiparasitics should not be administered too regularly, to avoid overdosing. What’s more, some anti-flea products for dogs (e.g. Advantix) are toxic to cats.

It's summer, are there any special precautions I should take for my pet?

In hot weather, beware of the temperature of the tarmac when you go out, and prefer walks in the morning or evening. Similarly, we strongly advise you not to leave your pet in your car if it’s parked outside.

It’s also spikelet season: these small, pointed spikes often lodge in the ears, nostrils or paws. This also applies to cats!

If you’re planning to travel with your dog, especially to the South of France or the Mediterranean region, you’ll need special anti-parasitics to protect your 4-legged friend.

Winter is here, what should I look out for with my pet?

If it’s freezing or snowing, watch out for paw pad injuries: you can apply Vaseline or protective ointments.
Beware, too, of the toxic foods they may nibble on at this time of year: chocolates, raisins, poisonous plants (such as Christmas roses), etc.

Does my rabbit need to fast before anesthesia?

Rabbits cannot vomit (the sphincter between the esophagus and stomach is so tight that it does not allow food to reflux). So the risk of regurgitation during anaesthesia does not exist in rabbits.
You just need to avoid giving too much food just before anaesthesia, so as not to cause excessive dilation of the stomach, which could compress the lungs.

Secured By miniOrange